Ashok Choorna is made from bark of ashoka tree and is known to be useful in the management of Dysmenorrhoea, Menorrhagia, Dysfunctional uterine bleeding, Leucorrhoea and other gynecological disorders. It is known as best tonic for women.
The literal word meaning for Ashoka is "A" means "NO", "soka" means "grief", which means "no grief". It implies that it removes the difficulty with health issues in women like menorrhagia & it helps in reducing their distress. Thus it is a rejuvenator of the uterus which strengthens, tones, removes the disorders in the reproductive organs like uterus, ovaries to help them become fertile. Infertility is one of the common problems women face due to problems like cyst, fibroids in the ovaries or uterus. Thus Asoka is commonly used as a single drug, along with other ingredients or it is an ingredient in most of the medicines that are used for gynaecological disorders. It has a special property by which it regulates the menstrual cycle & also helps in conditions with excess bleeding like menorrhagia.
Ashokchhal Choorna Dosage
- One teaspoon can be taken with warm water or honey twice daily after food.
- It can be taken with warm water for 3-6months for cysts, fibroids or other growths.
- In excess bleeding it can be taken with honey until the bleeding stops & gets regulated.
Packaging size : 100 grams.
Ashokchhal choorna Constituents
Ashoka Tree Bark powder (Saraca Indica) is the ingredient in Ashoka choorna. Asoka which is known as Saraca indica is commonly used for gynaecological complaints especially with excessive bleeding. It is bitter, astringent in taste, light dry in quality, cold in potency, pungent in post digestive effect, which thereby reduces kapha, pitta. This choorna mainly consits of Ashoka herb. The bark is commonly used for all gynaecological problems like excess bleeding, but the flowers have the specific effect in dysentery. The chemical components like Tannin, catechol, calcium & iron compounds help to stimulate the uterus or the ovaries. The iron helps to improve the haemoglobin which is reduced because of the excessive bleeding. The oestrogen like activity enhances the restoration of the endometrium & hence stops bleeding. The special action of Asoka is to relieve the congestive pain in dysmenorrhoea. It also clears the artava vaha srotas which is the channel of reproductive organs also acts on the deranged mamsa, medo dhathu which is responsible for the increase of muscular growth such as cyst, polyps, endometriosis, adenomyosis. It has been used in traditional medicines because of the medicinal properties.
Ashokchhal Choorna Benefits
- Being astringent, it is absorbent which helps to stop excess discharge.
- It is used in excess bleeding, dysmenorrhoea, uterine fibroids, ovarian fibroids, infertility.
- It reduces the bleeding & regularises the time interval between the cycles in females with irregular cycles. It also helps to relieve the uterine spasms.
- It relieves the symptoms due to premenstrual syndrome like cramps in the abdomen, heaviness, nausea. The specific analgesic properties of the herb helps to relieve the pain & calm the nerves thereby controlling the vata dosha also.
- It is also used in leucorrhoea which causes tiredness & distress.
- It can also be used in bleeding piles, dysentery which shows good results.
- It also improves complexion, reduces thirst, burning sensation, reduces worms.
- It also reduces tiredness, weakness due to the excess bleeding.
- It improves digestion, reduces abdominal bloating & colic pain when taken in the right dosage along with proper diet & exercise. Otherwise it may constipate also.
- It also reduces swelling or heaviness in the abdomen or body.
- Also in hysteria or depression along with some gynaecological problems.
- It increases the flow of urine thereby reducing the burning micturition. Urinary infection must be taken care otherwise it may also spread the infection to the reproductive organs.
- It is a blood purifier which also shows improvement in skin conditions.
- It can be used after miscarriage to strengthen the uterus & also to reduce the weakness after miscarriage.
- It also has a nourishing effect in the cardiac system thereby regulating the palpitation & improving the circulation.
- It must not be taken for long time which may cause amenorrhoea.
- In some large & long term use may cause constipation, but with proper diet & exercise it can be managed without constipation.
- There are no known side effects when used in the right dosage for the right condition for the prescribed period.
Asok Choorna Precautions
Those who are taking for a long time with chronic conditions like fibroids or cysts must have regular reviews with doctor especially if they are planning to have a baby. Persons with other systemic illness can consult with the doctor & consume it.
Diet & Life style suggestions
- Eat healthy food with more vegetables & fruits.
- Include complex carbohydrates & fiber as they help to excrete excess oestrogen & also constipation.
- Reduce excess oestrogen rich foods like broccoli, meat, chick pea, mustard greens, soya which also causes the cysts or fibroids to grow until the growths disappear & after that little phytoestrogens help to mimic the estrogen & helps in maintaining the level of oestrogen without increasing it. This can be decided based on the other hormone levels also.
- Include sesame seeds, pine apple, horse gram, papaya during or just before periods, try to take it after the periods otherwise it may increase the bleeding.
- Avoid excess oil, sugar, fatty foods & salt which increase the problems of harmonal imbalance.
- Try to control weight as it also reduces the oestrogen.
- Do regular exercise which is beneficial for the balance of harmones & helps physically & mentally with a good health. Inactive or sedentary lifestyle impairs the blood circulation to the uterus which affects the fertility also. So exercise is very important especially when your nature of work is sedentary.
- Application of warm castor oil around your abdomen is very important as it helps to improve digestion, relieve constipation & improve the circulation to the uterus. Full body massages along with Virecana which is the use of mild laxatives or purgatives also helps to control the harmonal imbalance, improve the health of the uterus by clearing it & increases circulation to the uterus, ovaries & fallopian tubes. It helps to get rid of the stagnated blood in the uterus.
Yoga, asanas & Pranayama
Yogasanas like Marichyasana, Trikonasana, Sarvangasana, ViparitaKarani, Baddhakonasana, Dhanurasana, Bharadwajasana, Janu shirsana stimulate the uterus & helps to relieve the symptoms of pain & distress.
Pranayamam like anuloma, viloma, ujjayi, kapalabhati are beneficial by helping to reduce the harmonal imbalance, reduce stress, helps to bring more oxygenated fresh blood to the uterus, helps to strengthen the uterine muscles, also relieve the pain in specific disorders.
These helps to tone the uterus, helps to reduce the cysts or fibroids & increase the fertility rate by increasing the quality of the eggs. The gynaecological complaints & infertility are the major causes for stress in women. So with symptoms that cause distress, proper investigations & consultations must be done to correct the irregular menstrual cycles, reduce the excessive bleeding or any other growths in the uterus.