Cause: It is clearly mentioned in Ayurveda that kapha is specially aggravated by sedentary habits i.e. sitting idly or sleeping excessively, too much use of curd and its preparations, meat juices of aquatic and swampy animals, use of newly harvested cereals, preparations of jaggery and excessive use of sweets. This kapha aggravation gives rise to 20 types of urinary disorders (Prameh). Out of these 20 types, 10 are due to kapha dosha, 6 due to pitta dosha and 4 are due to Vata dosha. Diabetes (Madhumeh) is type of vataj prameh (urinary disorder). Hyperglycemia (madhumeh) and diabetes (hyperglycemia and glycosuria) is named as follows by the Ayurvedic scholars-
Charaka – Aujomeh, Madhumeh
Sushruta – Kshodrameh
Bagbhatt – Madhumeh
It is clear from this description that madhumeh (Diabetes) is a type of vataj prameh (urinary disorder), It is diseases caused by all the three doshas Ojus (essence of life) is synthesized after synthesis of seven dhatus namely lymph (Rasa), Blood (Rakta), Flesh (Mansa), Adipose tissue (Meda), Bone (Asthi), Bone marrow (Majja) and semen (shukra). When the three dosha vitiate the seven dhatus only after that affect the ojus (essence of life) and decrease its amount. Below are given some important Diabetes symptoms :-
When urinary disorders i.e. Prameh or Diabetes i.e. madhumeh affect the body then following symptoms arise in the body-
• Dryness of mouth and throat
• Burning sensation in hands and feet
• Ants collect at the urine of the patient
General prodromal features: Excessive sweating having foul smell, fatigue, laziness, continuous desire to sit down or lie down idly, cardiac pain, accumulation of more than normal dirty matters on ear, eyes and tongue, sudden increase of disease in weight overgrowth of hairs and nails, desire to take cold substances more etc. are the symptom which indicate that the patient is going to have diabetes.
The patient of urinary disorder (Prameh) may be obese or strong or lean or weak. Out of those the obese should be given evacuation treatment and the lean on should be given promotive treatment.
Diet for a diabetic person:
1. The lean patient who can not undergo evacuation he should take old rice, cereals like (sanva, Kanguni, barley etc.), chapatti (bread) of barley flour, soup of kidney bean and lentil pulse or he should take bitter vegetables with rice. This is the pacificatory management.
2. The obese patient should immerse barley in triphala decoction overnight and then parch and powder it. This powdered from (called sattu) should be taken with malpua (a kind of sweet) of kidney bean fried in mustard oil.
Life style: The patient of diabetes should go on walk in the morning and should take exercise. He should avoid comfortable bedding like thick mattresses. He should do less of mental exertion and more of physical exercise. He should keep his bowel clear, take his meal at proper time, sleep at proper time and should go for walk.
The single herbs beneficial in diabetes:
Syzygium cuminior or black berry (Jamun), Acacia catechu (Khadir sar), Pterocarpus marsupium (Vijaysar), Gymnema sylvestre (Gudmar), beer of black berry (Jamun shidu), Barley, Bitumen (Shilajit), Terminalia chebula (Harad or Haritaki), Terminilia bellirica (Baheda), Emblica officinalis (Amla or Amalaki), Memoradia charantia (Karela or bitter gourd) etc. are good in diabetes and any one of them can be caused.
Other eatables suitable in diabetes:
Fenugreek (Methi), Barley, Bread of gram mixed flour, bitter gourd (Karela), Kidney bean, Lentil pulse (Masur), Bread of barley etc. are useful in diabetes.
Fruits: Syzygium cumunior or black berry (Jamun), country fig (gular), Guava, Plum, Papaya etc. should be taken use of some other herbs like gymnema sylvestre (Gudmar), Ficus bengalensis or Banyan (Vat), Azadirachta indica (Neem), Turmeric, Berberes aristata or Indian barberry (Daruharidra) etc. in compound form of singly also has its own importance.
1. Madhumehari Granules – It is a best herbal product used in treatment of complex disease diabetes (Madhumeh). It is a herbal remedy used in the treatment of both type 1 and type 2 diabetes and is a powerful health supplement for a diabetic person. The details of the product are as under:-
Indications and benefits of Madhumehari granules:
1. Diuretic, hot potency, anti poisonous, digestive, contains yeast, subsides the sweetness.
2. Metabolize the glucose in liver, pacifies kapha and pitta, astringent and cold.
3. Pungent and bitter in taste, anti-obesity, anti pyretic, cleanse skin and is blood purifier.
4. Contains purified shilajit that subsides urinary disorders (Prameha), anti diabetic (Madhumeh nashak), cleanse urine, destroys renal problem, anti poisonous aphrodisiac, rejuvenator and yogvahu i.e. it take into it he properties of substance with which it is mixed. It is a naturalhematinic.
5. Subsides all the three Doshas mildly acting, hematinic, contains iron and copper.
6. Suppresses urine flow, analgesic, kapha nashak, controls glucose level in the blood.
7. Subsides pitta dosha as well, contains calcium, improves longevity and is a rejuvenator.
8. Altogether controls diabetes because it controls blood and urine sugar levels.
2. Generic anti diabetes herbal preparations – Below are some preparations that are well known in Ayurveda for their benefits in diabetes.
• Vasantkusumakar ras - For strength and health in diabetes. Anti diabetic.
• Chandraprabha vati - For urinary tract infections and disorders due to diabetes.
• Trivanga Bhasma - For Immunity in diabetes
• Pure Shilajit - For strength in diabetes